Blog tips

What not to do on Instagram

Blog tips

After the first and second chapter of ‘how to get more followers on Instagram’, I decided it would be fun to turn it around and talk about what not to do on Instagram! I have been very observant with the Instagram trends and I currently have around 40K followers. That didn’t just happen – I made it happen. Today I’m giving you some more insights in this amazing platform.

1. Don’t post low quality photo’s
The first don’t is all about quality. The quality of your pictures is the first key to success. Do you know those food pictures that are shot in a dark place, are blurry or you just can’t tell what it is? Well, those are my number one irritation. It might taste good or look good in real life, but please don’t post food pics that look really gross on the other side of the screen. Make sure the lighting is good and use a great camera (your Iphone is just fine :)).

2. Don’t post the same pictures in a row
We all have those moments where we made a bunch of selfies and we decided we liked more then one. I would -however- advice you to not post them all at once. Other people probably won’t even see the difference, although this difference may be quite visible for you. So just pick one and save the other one for a different day.

3. Don’t just post pictures of you
When you visit someone’s feed you really want to get a sense of who they are. When you post too many pictures of yourself in a row it looks cluttered and maybe even a bit narcissistic. You can’t get a clear picture of their character by just seeing their selfies. I always love to post pictures of what I’m wearing, flat lays, but also pictures of my beautiful city Amsterdam.

4. Don’t use too many different filters
The filter thing is really important if you don’t want your feed to look cluttered. Just make sure you use the same filter for a few pics in a row, or make sure they look a-like. I’m explaining more about this in the article: ‘Tips to gain more followers on Instagram part 1’.

5. Don’t spam
You don’t want to spam your followers. It isn’t really fun if you scroll down your feed and all you see are pictures of this one person. So what do you do? You’ll probably unfollow him or her. This is a point I also made in the previous article.

6. Don’t copy – be original
It’s ok to get inspiration from other people, but it’s not ok to create exact copies of their original posts. I love looking at Pinterest pictures for inspiration, but that doesn’t mean I recreate other peoples exact pictures. I always want to make sure my pictures reflect my own style and character.

7. Don’t steal
Everyone is allowed to use my pictures as long as they tag me in them. I think it’s not very nice if you use someone else’s picture and pass them off as yours. Also if you have a big amount of followers, there’s always a chance someone will notice it’s not yours.

These were my 7 Instagram no-no’s! I’m very curious what you think of this post and I would love to get some feedback on it.

Hugs!!

Follow me on Social Media!

InstagramFacebookTwitterPinterest & bloglovin

You Might Also Like

15 Comments

Fashion and Frappes
    August 2, 2016 at 6:38 am

These are not only good tips but also just general good practice to follow on Instagram to make sure you don’t fall foul with their rules as well. This post is bookmarked!

Fashion and Frappes
    August 2, 2016 at 6:38 am

Alina Befu
    February 23, 2016 at 11:00 am

Why should you use filters if your pictures are taking with a great photo camera? :)

Anonymous
    January 16, 2016 at 2:11 pm

Oh these are so true hey. I’ve seen people do this and think why would you think it’s okay. I’m pinning and will be sgaring with my blogging group

La French Connection
    January 16, 2016 at 9:10 am

Again, that’s an excellent article and I appreciate that you’re sharing your tips. Your Instagram pics look amazing so I take the advice!
    Have a great weekend,

Mika | http://www.la-french-connection.com

Laura
    January 15, 2016 at 11:29 pm

Great tips! And btw, I love your blogs design/ look :D

Lauren
    January 15, 2016 at 10:16 pm

Totally agree with this list! I love when Instagram feeds all follow a certain look and are cohesive, and I hate when people post too many selfies! Following you on instagram!

xoxo
    Lauren
    Instagram: @dressingdallas

Jenny
    January 15, 2016 at 6:04 pm

Great post! I think you’ve got it spot on, totally agree with it all. Posting low quality photos especially and also spamming are my two hates on Instagram!
    Jen | borntoblend.blogspot.co.uk

Stephanie Wilhite
    January 15, 2016 at 5:45 pm

Thanks so much for share your advice! i will make sure to take these steps into consideration for the future!

Lorna
    January 15, 2016 at 4:53 pm

Helpful hints, thanks :)

Zayeneesha
    January 15, 2016 at 4:37 pm

So true. Hate it when people steal pics and pass it off as their own.

Tina
    January 15, 2016 at 4:22 pm

I agree with all of them! To be honest, I don’t think we should use Instagram filters at all, to me they look kind of tacky, if used all the way. Maybe using them just a little bit. For my personal account I definitely use other photo editing apps :P And yeah, totally agree on not spamming! I used to follow too many accounts that were posting like every hour. So instead of gaining audience, they were losing it just because of that.

Laura
    January 15, 2016 at 4:13 pm

Handige tips! Ik vind het altijd vervelend als mensen heel veel verschillende filters gebruiken. Verder ben ik verslaafd aan Instagram!

Fleur Sophia
    January 15, 2016 at 8:58 am

Fijne tips! Ik hou (nee, ben verslaafd!) aan Instagram!

Mariska
    January 15, 2016 at 8:46 am

Hele handige tips, ik wil m’n instagram feed wat mooier krijgen, dat alles wat meer bij elkaar past. Hetzelfde filter gebruiken dus. Kan waarschijnlijk ook het beste alleen posten van wat ik met m’n camera heb gemaakt. Ik vind dit handig om te lezen!